Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Should I really do it?

I've been working at this current job for about three months...barely even worth putting onto a resume.  I have been desperately displeased, though, with the management situation.  This is the most poorly run unit I have ever seen in a healthcare setting, and that goes for my whole seven years in the healthcare field.  Staff coming in whenever they want, no punishment being done, staff meetings that aren't mandatory held every couple months, patients running amok...the list could go on and on.  I am loving working in the psychiatric field just like I knew I would.  But I can't help but wonder - is there something better out there?

Are there really units out there like the units I precepted on in nursing school?

Is it even possible for a unit to be well run, well staffed, and excellent patient care provided?  Is it?

Is the grass greener on the other side?

I really don't want to seem like that person who is always looking for something better.  I can be content.  I really can.  I just like to be happy with my job.  Thus, the whole reason I'm posting this post.  I found a job at a treatment center for children.  I have never worked with children before, except for my clinicals during nursing school.  I enjoyed them, but wasn't enthralled by them.  I knew that I liked old people and adults and babies.  I knew that I didn't like pregnant women (too many hormones).  Kinda strange that I like psych, huh?  Haha :)

Anyway, enough rambling.  I found a full time job for 10 months out of the year working as a psychiatric nurse with school ages kids and teenagers.  I think I would like it.  I love psych nursing.  I think I'm good with kids.  And I've prayed about it and feel the Spirit every time I think about it.  AND I could not get it out of my head all morning.  It's like God is letting me know - "Hey!  This is important!" I was feeling the Spirit so strongly that I was crying when I told the MedStud about the job.  He said to go ahead and apply, because I have nothing to lose.

I just don't want to be seen as that person.

No comments:

Post a Comment